If warm cinnamon apples make your mouth water, then you are in for a treat. And if crunchy buttery crumb topping makes you go weak in the knees, you have come to the right place. This deliciously spiced “breakfast” cake (well, that’s another name for this gorgeous cake) is your answer for a warm, festive breakfast or desert, when the weather gets a little chilly.
This is one of my absolute favourite cake recipes that I had tried making from scratch during my stay in the US. That was about a decade ago and it still remains one of my go-to recipes, whenever I feel the need for something sweet and warm. This is a family favourite too and that definitely helps! So, here you go…
APPLE CRUMB CAKE
Maida / All-purpose flour – 2 cups
Eggs – 2
Milk – 1 cup
Apple – 1 (peeled, cored and chopped)
Unsalted Butter – ¼ cup
Salt – ¼ tsp (skip salt if using salted butter)
Brown Sugar – ½ cup
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Pecans (or walnuts) – ¼ cup
Castor sugar (powdered sugar) – 1 tbl sp
(FOR CRUMB TOPPING)
Brown sugar – ½ cup
Maida / All-purpose flour – ¼ cup
Butter – 3 Tbl sp (cold and solid)
Cinnamon powder – 2 tsp
**Mix the above ingredients for crumb topping and cut in the butter until crumbly**
- Preheat oven to 180oC
- Using a whisk or an electric beater, cream butter and sugar
- Add eggs and beat until smooth
- Sieve flour, salt and baking powder to blend well
- Add this dry mix to the above mixture
- Add milk and whisk it or beat on low to medium speed if using an electric beater
- Stir in pecan / chopped walnuts.
- Stir in chopped apples fold it in
- Pour this mixture into a baking dish lined with parchment paper or that is well greased
- Top it with the crumb topping
- Bake it for 30 min and cool for 10 minutes
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top before serving
Please DO NOT over-bake the cake. Consider the cooling time as part of the cooking process.
I have learnt from my mistakes that when you test the cake using a knife it WILL NOT come out clean and dry. It will come out a bit sticky but do not make the mistake of baking it for a longer time. Otherwise the cake will turn gummy and chewy.
This is me talking from experience guys, so please watch out for these little tips.
Now, go on and try it out! It’s absolutely delicious!