Gongura Pickle – A tried & tested family recipe
Gongura Pickle Recipe:
You might have seen my patch of Roselle/sorrel/Gongura as it is commonly called, if not you can view it HERE. I had promised you then that I will share my Gongura or Pulicha-Keerai pickle recipe with you. So here’s it is! Watch how I harvested them and converted them into a yummy pickle that will last more than a month for me to savour them. Truly a farm to table dish it is! Without further ado let’s get to the recipe!
I have divided the ingredients into 3 categories for easy reference.
- 3 cups – Green Sorrel/Gongura/Pulicha keerai leaves
- 2 tablespoons – Sesame/gingelly oil
- Tamarind – a small gooseberry size
- Salt to taste
For Roasting & Grinding:
- Urad dal (black gram) – 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Coriander seeds – 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli – 10-15 (roast in a litte oil separately)
- Garlic – 10 cloves (optional)
- sesame oil – 3-4 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves (optional)
To watch the video of Gongura pickle in the making go right ahead.
- Wash the leaves well and let it air dry. It’s good to remove the moisture before cooking to increase its shelf life.
- Saute the greens in oil and add the tamarind and salt.
- Once it cooks down, remove from flame and let it cool.
- Grind it into a coarse / fine paste as per your requirements.
- Meanwhile, get the ingredients for roasting and roast them till they are nice and golden brown in colour.
- Now let it cool and grind them into a powder.
- Take a kadai/pan and heat a generous amount of oil and add the seasoning mix to this.
- Add in the ground greens and then the dry masala mix to this.
- Adjust the salt and mix this all well till oil leaves the sides.
- Your Gongura pickle is ready!
If you want to know the benefits of this super-nutritious and delicious green then CLICK HERE to read more. You are going to be bowled over by the facts!