In these unprecedented times we live in, it’s becoming more and more clear that knowing how to do things ourselves is the only thing that will see us through this tough time.
Cooking and knowing how to turn some basic ingredients into food is THE MOST essential skill that’s needed right now…So, I am going to share some very simple, very basic recipes to tide you through these times.
My recipes are quite simple and you don’t have to be a seasoned cook to make these yourself. So if all you have is basic pantry stuff and a few fruits, you can still make something great! If you are out of bread and the stores don’t have them either, then try this easy bread recipe. And if you want some jam to go with it then here you have it.
Apple (peeled and grated) – 1 ½ cups
Sugar (brown or regular) – 2/3 cups
Lemon Juice – 1 tbl sp
- In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan, add the grated apple and sugar.
- Let it simmer in a low to medium low heat. (This is very important)
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Cover and let it cook for about 30 to 45 min
- Keep checking and stirring every few minutes.
- Make sure that the stove is on very low heat and ensure that the mixture cooks very slowly. (Heating up too quickly and too much will turn the jam gummy in texture.)
- Once the liquid from the sugar and fruit evaporates and it all comes together to a jam like consistency, switch off the stove and let it cool.
- After it has completely cooled down, transfer the jam into a glass jar or stainless steel container.
Eat it fresh or store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks or more.
PS: You can follow the above recipe for almost any fruit jam. You can make Pineapple, Strawberry, Mixed fruit Jam or any seasonal fruit jam. Just adjust the sweetness according to the fruit. It’s that simple!
Hope the simplicity of the recipe will encourage you to try it and don’t forget to shoot a comment on how it turned out for you!
Until next time,